I’ve always been an admirer of a good ‘tache (I am a Nigel Mansell fan, you see) and when I found out that most of the men have signed up for Movember, I was very keen to join in as it’s a cause I do support very highly.
The Movember website has some very good reasons why this should be so:
Why should we care about men’s health?
- 1 in 9 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime
- This year, in the UK, 37,000 new cases of the disease will be diagnosed
- 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime
- 26% of men are less likely to go the doctor compared to women
Is Movember Making a Difference?
The answer is yes, absolutely. Recent research carried out by Movember highlighted that the campaign is working successfully in terms of raising awareness whilst having a positive impact on making men think about their health. Movember participants were shown to spend more time thinking about health issues or reflecting on them than non-participants (the general population). To be specific, in the UK, the research revealed:
- 89% of participants spent time thinking about improving their general health
- 57% of participants have had a general check-up
- 70% discussed men’s health with their family, friends or colleagues during Movember
- 58% carried out personal research on men’s health issues during Movember
- 51% worried about their general health
- 77% understood that their health depends on how well they take care of themselves
These reasons alone should make you want to get up and grow that ‘tache, so please do so and help raise money and awareness for a great cause. Here are the rules of Movember to help you grow that super ‘stache:
Also, I would really really appreciate it if you could donate to my MoSpace here. As I said before, I am part of a team that plans to raise £3000 for charity – so I would be grateful for every donation you guys make…
I will be updating my picture and this blog every few days, so you can follow my progress and see what kind of mo I can grow ;)
For reference, here is a recent clean-shaven pic of me:
I really enjoyed the last proper shave for a while this morning and I am really excited for what mo I will end up growing – I have no idea what style I will take (any ideas)? So why not take part – it’s great fun and you will help a great cause out ;)